At least 15 killed in attack on Afghan govt building

Smoke rising from the area where explosions and gunshots were heard in Jalalabad city yesterday. A local provincial council member said about 40 people appeared to be caught inside the building.
Smoke rising from the area where explosions and gunshots were heard in Jalalabad city yesterday. A local provincial council member said about 40 people appeared to be caught inside the building.PHOTO: REUTERS

Raid comes as ISIS ramps up violence while Afghan govt seeks peace talks with Taleban

JALALABAD (Afghanistan) • At least 15 people were killed yesterday in Afghanistan's eastern city of Jalalabad when gunmen stormed a government building, trapping dozens inside after a suicide bomber blew himself up at the entrance gate.

The attack underlines the country's dire security situation after 17 years of war, with the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) increasingly claiming attacks on civilian targets even as pressure builds for peace talks between the Western-backed government and the Taleban.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility, though the Taleban issued a statement denying involvement.

After several hours during which intermittent gunfire and explosions could be heard, provincial government spokesman Attaullah Khogyani said the incident appeared to be over with two gunmen killed and much of the building destroyed.

He said at least 15 people had been killed and 15 wounded, although the total may rise as rescue workers search the site.

Mr Sohrab Qaderi, a member of the local provincial council, said eight had been killed and as many as 30 wounded.

One witness, a passer-by named Mr Obaidullah, said yesterday's attack began when a black car with three occupants pulled up at the entrance to a building used by the Department of Refugee Affairs and a gunman emerged, firing around him. One attacker blew himself up at the gate and two gunmen entered the building, in an area close to shops and government offices, he added.

Minutes later, the car blew up, wounding people in the street, Mr Obaidullah said.

"We saw several people wounded and helped to carry them away," he added.

As security forces cordoned off the area, gunshots and what appeared to be hand grenade explosions could be heard as a cloud of black smoke drifted into the sky.

Mr Qaderi said about 40 people appeared to be caught inside the building, which caught fire early during the attack.

As the attack concluded, it was not immediately clear what had happened to them.

ISIS has claimed a number of recent attacks in the city.

Mr Khogyani said the attack happened during a meeting with non-government organisations working on refugee-related issues. The head of the department and several other people were taken to safety, he said.

Although it is unclear whether there was any direct connection, ISIS attacks have picked up as hopes for peace talks between the government and the Taleban grow in the wake of June's three-day ceasefire.

Also yesterday, unknown attackers seized 22 people from vehicles on a highway linking Kabul and Gardez, a key city in the eastern province of Paktia.

REUTERS

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on August 01, 2018, with the headline 'At least 15 killed in attack on Afghan govt building'. Print Edition | Subscribe