BANGKOK • Thai police are investigating a medical student who allegedly killed his dog in order to claim compensation from a transport company.
Mahidol University said the student was enrolled there and confirmed the police investigation.
The case concerns allegations, including some made last week through Facebook posts that went viral, that a student from the university had poisoned his pet dog with human medicine in an effort to claim compensation from a delivery firm he had hired.
A veterinarian from Nakhon Ratchasima city came forward on Facebook to allege that the student had asked her to write a fake death certificate for his dog.
The Provincial Livestock Office said last Saturday that it had filed a complaint with the police to launch a formal investigation.
The police said the student, the veterinarian who had examined the dog and the transport firm involved would be questioned.
The veterinarian, Dr Anongnart Sutham Sutham, said she had been suspicious of the owner's request to write a death certificate for presentation to the transport firm to claim compensation for the dog's death. She then conducted an autopsy on the dead animal and discovered drugs in its stomach. The police said they would examine the drugs.
Another veterinary clinic also claims that it faced a similar case involving the same student, according to a report.
The clinic's owner said the student had hired a transport firm to take a seven-month-old pomeranian there for care. The student had told the clinic that he would return later to take the dog home.
The clinic's owner said the dog appeared healthy at first, but fell sick an hour later and died.
After the clinic's owner notified the student of the dog's death, he reportedly asked for compensation of 40,000 baht (S$1,620) from the transport firm. However, the firm refused, arguing that it had safely transported the dog to the clinic.
The owner said the student then turned to the clinic for compensation. But the clinic refused the demand, saying that it had only allowed the dog to rest there and had not treated it in any way.
THE NATION/ASIA NEWS NETWORK