Seven-day remand for Malaysian couple whose baby girl died

The man and woman, both 22 years old, were produced before registrar Nor Hapipah Abdullah on Feb 16, 2018. PHOTO: THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

BUKIT MERTAJAM (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - Police have obtained a seven-day remand order from the magistrate's court here for a couple following the death of their one-and-a-half month old baby girl.

This was after an x-ray discovered bruises all over her body, with one of her legs fractured.

The man and woman, both 22 years old, were produced before registrar Nor Hapipah Abdullah on Friday (Feb 16) morning.

Central Seberang Prai OCPD Asst Comm Nik Ros Azhan Nik Ab Hamid said the infant died on Thursday.

"We suspect the child died following abuse by her family in Kampung Tok Panjang near here," he said in a statement Friday.

ACP Nik Ros Azhan said that according to the parents, the child was unconscious and was rushed to a nearby clinic, where she was pronounced dead upon arrival.

"The child was delivered via a normal birth at Bukit Mertajam Hospital, at 1.35am on Dec 30, weighing 2.66kg," he said.

He said police investigations found that the child had yellow fever soon after, but was successfully treated over two weeks.

However, she suffered a loss of appetite and eventually could not be fed, ACP Nik Ros Azhan said.

The child's father claimed that she got weaker and he took her to a child specialist in Sungai Rambai here.

"A doctor told the father that the infant's heartbeat was weak, and advised him to take her to the hospital.

"On the way to the hospital, when the couple noticed the child had stopped breathing, they brought the baby back to the same clinic, where the doctor confirmed that she had died," said ACP Nik Ros Azhan.

Following the death, the child's remains were brought to the Seberang Jaya Hospital and an x-ray revealed injuries and bruises on her head, neck and legs.

"It was also learnt that one of the child's legs was fractured, but we are still awaiting the post-mortem result," he said.

The post-mortem was conducted by Dr Amir Saad Abdul Rahim at the Seberang Jaya Hospital Friday morning.

ACP Nik Ros Azhan said the case is being investigated under Section 31(1)(a) of the Child Act 2001.

Family members spotted at the hospital refused to answer press queries.

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.