PETALING JAYA (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - The protest by factory bus drivers at the Bangunan Sultan Iskandar Customs, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) Complex, Johor Baru on Friday morning may have been instigated by two drivers, several news portals reported.
According to reports, the two drivers blocked the bus lane heading towards Singapore, forcing many to walk across the Causeway.
It is believed that the protest was staged to voice dissatisfaction over the new toll charges which came into effect on Friday.
As of Aug 1, motorists travelling to Singapore via the Causeway must pay a total of RM16.50 (S$6.40) for inbound and outbound toll charges at the CIQ.
Land Public Transport Commission (SPAD) chairman Tan Sri Syed Hamid Albar is reported to have condemned the drivers' actions, labelling their conduct as unnecessary.
"They left passengers stranded at the Causeway, forcing them to walk across to Singapore. Their (the drivers') actions does not make sense and only caused inconvenience to the passenger," he said.
Syed Hamid added that the bus operators should have spoken to the companies that hired them about the increase in cost.
He also said that SPAD would investigate the case and determine whether or not the drivers had broken any laws.
Malaysian Highway Authority (MHA) said that the operations at CIQ were smooth and all operational hiccups had been rectified.
Eastern Dispersal Link (EDL), North South Expressway (PLUS) and MHA personnel will be ready to handle any issues that arises due to the toll hike, MHA said in a statement on Friday.
* Motorcycles are exempted.
Source: Malaysian Highway Authority
ST Graphics by Derrick Ho | Compiled by Ling Chang Hong