JAKARTA (Jakarta Post/Asia News Network/AFP) - Indonesia's Attorney-General Prasetyo said preparations for the upcoming execution of 12 death-row convicts were "95 per cent complete".
Two Australians, Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan, members of the so-called Bali Nine drug smuggling gang who are among the 12 death-row convicts, were scheduled to be moved from the Kerobokan Prison in Bali to the Nusakambangan execution island in Java on Tuesday or Wednesday, said Prasetyo.
Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott has made repeated appeals for Chan and Sukumaran's lives to be spared. The duo recently lost their appeals for presidential clemency, typically a death row convict's last chance to avoid the firing squad.
The other convicts, who include a Frenchman and a Brazilian, were to be transferring from prisons in Madiun, Yogyakarta and Riau, Prasetyo said according to Antara news agency.
The transfer had been coordinated with the Law and Human Rights Affairs Ministry and security authorities, said Prasetyo.
"The remaining 5 per cent (of the preparations) concerns evacuation and other matters," he said.
He said the 12 convicts would be placed in isolated cells after arriving in Nusakambangan.
"Following the convicts' transfers, we will set the execution date. We will be especially cautious during all phases of the execution," he was quoted by Antara as saying.
Separately, Minister of Law and Human Rights Yasonna H. Laoly said the government has yet to decide whether Brazilian Rodrigo Gularte, who has a mental illness, would be executed.
The law does not make provisions about the execution of mentally-ill death-row convicts.
"We will see later. A team from the Attorney General's Office will assess the real condition in the field and decide from there," Laoly said.