Perlis evacuee chided for Facebook rant about food

PETALING JAYA • Flood victims at relief centres in Perlis in northern Malaysia are not just served bean sprouts and sardines for meals, said Perlis Civil Defence Force Malaysia director Lieutenant-Colonel Ishak Mohd Radzi.

He was denying allegations on Facebook made by a woman claiming to be one of some 5,000 people who were evacuated in Perlis and Kedah over the weekend.

The woman wrote in Malay on Sunday: "This is food for flood victims - bean sprouts with sardine for today. Very sad. What is your reaction?" Attached with the post was a photo of packet of rice with sardines and bean sprouts.

Col Ishak yesterday said each meal included rice, chicken, meat and fish.

In response to a query from The Star newspaper, he said: "We will try to give them the best we can."

He said various government agencies including the Welfare Department, Armed Forces and volunteers from non-government organisations are involved in the distribution of food at relief centres.

UNGRATEFUL

This is food for flood victims - bean sprouts with sardine for today. Very sad. What is your reaction?

THE WOMAN'S FACEBOOK POSTING, which was slammed online as ungrateful.

He said staff worked round the clock to ensure there was enough for everyone. However, he added, victims arriving unexpectedly or late at night might just be served sardines and eggs.

Instead of getting sympathy from netizens, the woman was criticised for being ungrateful.

Perlis Welfare Department director Mohammad Hazam Ismail said he has met the woman and that they have " settled it amicably".

He added that on Sunday, food for 2,000 evacuees had been prepared but that there was a last-minute request for 500 more packets of food.

"We prepared 2,500 packs of rice with fish curry, but we realised that it wasn't enough. That is why we used sardines as we had no choice... We had to make sure all the evacuees got their lunch," he said.

"Only 20 per cent of the evacuees were served rice with canned sardines while the rest were served fish. "

The woman has since deactivated her Facebook account.

THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on September 28, 2017, with the headline 'Perlis evacuee chided for Facebook rant about food'. Print Edition | Subscribe