'No anomalies' detected so far at clinic where Kim Jong Nam sought help: Malaysia Airports

The departure hall at Kuala Lumpur International Airport.
The departure hall at Kuala Lumpur International Airport. PHOTO: NSTP

The company that manages most of Malaysia's airports said on Friday (Feb 24) "no anomalies" had been reported by the airport clinic that attended to Kim Jong Nam shortly after he was poisoned with a nerve agent so toxic a small dose can kill a person within minutes.

All staff at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport, where Kim was killed on Feb 13, were also in good health, the Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB) said in a statement issued late on Friday (Feb 24).

The statement came hours after the police chief said Kim Jong Nam had been attacked with the VX nerve agent, classified by the United Nations as a weapon of mass destruction, at Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 (KLIA2) on Feb 13.

Two women suspected to have swiped Kim's face with the toxin at the terminal's departure hall have been taken into custody.



"We have checked with Menara Clinic at KLIA2 terminal and there has been no anomalies on the medical cases reported at the clinic since the date of the incident," said Datuk Badlisham Ghazali, MAHB's Managing Director, in the statement.

"However as the police had earlier indicated that the case involved a highly toxic substance, as a safety precaution we had sent our customer service staff who attended to the victim for a medical check-up and the medical report states that she is in good health."

The company added that it has a rigorous daily cleaning procedure for KLIA2 "that involves scrubbing the floor using the Ride-On-Scrubber machine with multipurpose cleaning chemical and water".

"This process is performed six times a day at KLIA2 terminal.  Apart from that, all toilets are also washed down nightly. We have also been informed that the cleaning staff are in good health," said MAHB.  

Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar had said earlier on Friday experts would sweep the busy terminal where the attack took place for traces of the toxin as well as other locations the women had visited. MAHB said it would cooperate fully with the police.  

It noted that the Ministry of Health had advised that the public need not worry since those exposed to the nerve agent "would have shown signs and symptoms immediately or within 18 hours".