Nine from Penang nudist event stayed at durian orchard, attended Pattaya event

NIBONG TEBAL/PENANG - Nine of the participants of a nude sports games event on a Penang beach had stayed overnight at a durian orchard where they continued to bare it all and a week later, they attended another nude event in Thailand.

The group moved about naked in the durian orchard in Balik Pulau after the sports event in Teluk Kampi, The Star newspaper reported, quoting state police chief Senior Deputy Comm Datuk Wira Abdul Rahim Hanafi.

"From June 6 to 8, the same nine people were in Pattaya for a nude event.

"We learnt that about 30 different nationalities participated in the nude party," he added.

He also said police have detained two men in connection with the Penang sports event. A Malaysian and a Singaporean, aged between 30 and 40 years, have been remanded.

The Malaysia Insider news website quoted southwest district superintendent Lai Fah Hin as saying the detained Singaporean, a freelance videographer, surrendered three days ago and is being remanded for questioning until Sunday.

The Malaysian, a spare parts businessman, surrendered on Thursday, the online news site said.

The names of the two men were not known.

The nudist event held on May 30 at a secluded beach in Teluk Kampi was exposed in a video clip that went viral online, sparking protests from some groups which demanded police action.

Police said seven Malaysians and four people from Singapore were among the group, which also included people from the Philippines and Myanmar.

The names of the four from Singapore are Albert Yam, a Malaysian who is a Singapore permanent resident and has been identified as one of the organisers, Lionel Lau, Terry Lau and Kok Hong, who is believed to be a director at a local media company.

Police have classified the case as gestures intended to insult the modesty of a person and are investigating it under Section 509 of the Penal Code. If convicted, a nudist can be jailed up to five years or face a fine, or both.