KOTA KINABALU (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - More arrests are expected in the case involving the alleged rape of a national diver at the National Aquatics Centre in Malaysia's Bukit Jalil.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Mohd Fuzi Harun said a total of 18 people had been questioned so far.
Investigators have also obtained CCTV recordings while assistance has been sought from forensic, pathology and chemical specialists in their probe.
"Their input is necessary before we submit a report to the Attorney-General's Chambers," he said on Saturday (Oct 7).
He said after one person had been detained in connection with the case, no athlete has stepped forward with similar allegations.
Police arrested a 35-year-old coach on Monday, a day after the national diver reported the incident, which allegedly took place on Sept 26.
"We consider him as the main suspect but it depends on the development of our investigation.
"If there is a need, we will make more arrests.
"We will conduct a detailed investigation and hope the investigation papers can be completed as soon as possible," he said after attending an investiture ceremony at the Istana Negeri.
In Kuala Lumpur, City CID chief SAC Rusdi Md Isa said the coach's remand period had been extended by five days until Wednesday.