Moneylender shot dead in Kuala Lumpur 'helped needy children'

Buntings with slain moneylender V. Kandasamy’s portrait plastered at his residence in Setapak.
Buntings with slain moneylender V. Kandasamy’s portrait plastered at his residence in Setapak.PHOTO: THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

KUALA LUMPUR (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - Hundreds of people attended the funeral of slain moneylender V. Kandasamy at his residence in Taman Melati Utama, Setapak on Friday (July 29).

Roll-up bunting of Kandasamy's portrait were plastered across the walls of the condominium complex's front gates, with the words "Rest in Peace - Presiden Pertubuhan Kebajikan dan Sosial De'One" (President of De'One Welfare and Social Club).

A tent was set up at the outdoor parking lot of the complex and mourners started pouring in as early as 9am on Friday.

The hearse carrying Kandasamy's body left for Nirvana Memorial Park, Semenyih, at about 1pm.

A friend, who only wanted to be known as Raj, 35, said Kandasamy, also known as Kanna, had always helped the needy, including widows and underprivileged kids in their 20 years of friendship.


"He helped needy children continue their studies. Many people respect him because of his kindness.

"It's unfair to call him a gangster. As soon as there is a murder in the Indian community, it will be pegged as gangsterism. He could have been shot over business rivalry," said Raj.

But another friend, who did not want to be named, claimed that the deceased moneylender was indeed part of Gang Satu Hati.

The 32-year-old said Kandasamy assumed leadership after S. Surya Kumar, 41, was gunned down in Taman Jinjang Baru on Jan 26. Surya was shot dead while on his way to a meeting.

He alleged that the people behind Kandasamy's murder were not happy that they were not allowed to operate their drug business in the areas under the protection of Gang Satu Hati.

Kandasamy was shot 16 times while driving along the road near Setapak Central on Wednesday afternoon.

At 3.35pm, the moneylender, 43, was driving alone near the mall when four men on two motorcycles approached his car at the traffic light.

The two pillion riders got off and ran to the car's two front windows and opened fire. Kandasamy suffered gunshot wounds in the head, body and leg.