Malaysian government to resolve traffic congestion at Singapore crossings: Minister

File photo showing vehicles on the causeway between Singapore and Malaysia's southern city of Johor Bahru.
File photo showing vehicles on the causeway between Singapore and Malaysia's southern city of Johor Bahru. PHOTO: REUTERS

JOHOR BARU (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - The Malaysian government is committed to resolving traffic congestion at both its land crossings with Singapore, said Home Minister Muhyiddin Yassin on Thursday (June 28).

Tan Sri Muhyiddin said the gridlock at both Customs, Immigration and Quarantine complex (CIQ) at the Causeway and at the Second Link had been going on since his tenure as Johor Menteri Besar from 1986 to 1995.

"We need to find ways to resolve these issues in the short, medium and long term as these crossings are important for tourism and import-export businesses," he said after touring the Bangunan Sultan Iskandar CIQ complex on Thursday.

The federal government is expected to come up with a short-term plan on the issue within three months.

The state government, he added, had formed a task force, which will produce a report which will be presented to the Cabinet.

Mr Muhyiddin, who is the Pagoh MP and Gambir assemblyman, also asked for all the suppliers of machines, such as autogates and Mbike systems, to ensure any faulty machines are repaired promptly.

Each year, about 102 million commuters go through both the checkpoints.

Among the major issues at the checkpoints are structures that cause bottlenecks, insufficient counters to match the Singapore side, a lack of Customs scanners, and motorists who leave their lanes to reload Touch 'n Go cards.