SEPANG (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - The Immigration Department has dismissed 15 officers who were involved in sabotaging the implementation of the Malaysian Immigration System (myIMMs).
Immigration director-general Sakib Kusmi said those terminated had served for between six months and 15 years.
He added that 14 more officers were suspended from work while eight officers had been subjected to a freeze in salary raises pending investigations.
"We also took drastic actions by transferring 63 officers out of our headquarters in Putrajaya and we have also prepared a new name list for those who will be based in the airports," he told a press conference at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport on Tuesday (May 31).
Datuk Sakib added that another 20 personnel, believed to be involved directly or indirectly in sabotaging the immigration system, were being monitored by the department's intelligence division.
Last Thursday, Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said some 100 people, including immigration officers and syndicate members, were being investigated on suspicion of being involved in sabotaging the implementation of myIMMs.
He was quoted as saying that those detained were "mostly immigration officers and syndicate members".
Most of the immigration officers in custody were low-ranking officers stationed at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA), the main gateway for travellers into Malaysia, according to The Star daily.