PETALING JAYA (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - The Malaysian authorities have handed over the investigation into the robbery of Singapore-registered vessel MT Joaquim to their Indonesian counterparts.
Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) deputy-director general (operations) Maritime Vice-Admiral Ahmad Puzi Ab Kahar said the investigation would be carried out by the Indonesian authorities as the ship was found in their waters near Pulau Rupat on Sunday.
"We will be notified if there are developments in the investigation. We are regularly in touch with them to get the latest updates.
"We are giving them the space to conduct the probe," he said.
Asked if the ship had been towed, Vice-Admiral Puzi said the MMEA had yet to be notified.
It would take some time as the authorities needed to find a company which has a bigger, available vessel to tow MT Joaquim, he said.
"They also have to find a company that quotes a reasonable price," he added.
MT Joaquim, which was reported missing last Saturday night and later found near Pulau Rupat, would have its navigation system scrutinised.
The Star had reported that this would allow the authorities to determine the time and position of the tanker's disappearance. The crew would also be interviewed after the tanker has been towed.
Based on information given by a representative of the tanker's company, 3,500 metric tonnes of marine fuel the vessel was carrying was missing.
MT Joaquim was 1.5 nautical miles outside Malaysian waters when it was robbed.