KL triple family death: Woman says husband was violent with their kids

The photographs of seven-month-old Cheah Kai Wen and her father, Mr Cheah Hing Soon at the funeral. They were found dead in a Kuala Lumpur apartment on Sept 26, 2016. ST PHOTO: SIN CHEW

KUALA LUMPUR (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - The girl was tied to a chair and hit by her father, and suffered difficulty in breathing after the beating. Her brother was thrown to the floor on at least one occasion and had a chair flung at him.

This is the claim of the children's mother, who has been under arrest since the gruesome discovery of the bodies of her two children and husband in an apartment here.

Sentul OCPD Asst Comm R. Munusamy said the woman had also accused her husband of locking the room where the girl was supposedly kept in solitude.

On Monday, the bodies of three-year-old Cheah Kai Sze and her seven-month-old brother Cheah Kai Wen were found stuffed into plastic containers in the apartment, while their dead father, Cheah Hing Soon, 34, was found lifeless in the master bedroom.

His 35-year-old wife also claimed she had not seen Kai Wen for a month and that her husband had told her on separate occasions that Kai Sze and Kai Wen were dead and that he had disposed of their bodies.

ACP Munusamy said a post-mortem showed that Kai Sze had been dead for more than a week while Kai Wen was believed to have been dead for at least five days.

However, the woman reported only her husband's death.

"She said that when she woke up on Sunday, she found her husband foaming in the mouth," ACP Munusamy told reporters here.

Apparently, she merely cleaned him up and did not call anyone as she had no credit left on her mobile phone.

He said the woman also spoke of buying alcoholic drinks for her husband on Saturday.

The husband had been dead for more than 48 hours when he was found.

Police investigations found that he was an alcoholic with a drug-related case in 2005 as well as one for causing mischief in 2006.

The couple have two other boys, aged six and eight.

On Monday, the woman called her father-in-law before the family contacted an undertaker, who advised them to lodge a police report.

However, the woman only reported the death of her husband.

It was only when the police arrived at their home that they saw the bodies of the two children, ACP Munusamy said.

The boy is believed to have died from blunt force trauma to the head. As for the other child, the hospital is awaiting a toxicology report.

ACP Munusamy said the woman also claimed that she was disowned by her family since she was 19, when she got married.

He said police would send her for mental evaluation and a drug test.

ACP Munusamy said that the couple had been unemployed for several years. They were supported by the dead man's father.

The man had previously worked as an air-conditioning repairman and his wife as a clerk.

ACP Munusamy said the deceased would contact his father every week, asking for money.

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.