Kim Jong Nam trial: Judge and two accused visit crime scene under heavy police guard

Remote video URL

SEPANG - Over 200 police officers descended on Kuala Lumpur International Airport on Tuesday (Oct 24) as those involved in the murder trial of Kim Jong Nam visited the crime scene to retrace the steps taken by the estranged half-brother of North Korea's leader and the two women suspected of killing him on Feb 13.

The entourage comprising the judge, prosecutors, defence lawyers and the accused women Siti Aisyah, 25 and Doan Thi Huong, 28, were heavily guarded by armed and masked police as the investigating officer for the case, Wan Azirul Nizam Che Wan Aziz walked them through the routes taken by the deceased and the women at budget terminal KLIA2.

Indonesian Siti Aisyah, 25, and Vietnamese Doan Thi Huong, 28, were escorted to the crime scene at the airport, along with their trial judge, prosecutors and lawyers. ST PHOTO: TRINNA LEONG

"Today's exercise is merely to see the actual location and which cameras recorded what footage," Siti's lawyer Gooi Soon Seng told reporters.

Indonesian Siti had her bowed most of the time, and began crying as she was escorted around the airport. Vietnamese Doan looked exhausted, but turned to face the cameras when news photographers called out to her.

Both women, dressed in traditional dresses under bulletproof vests, were later placed in wheelchairs for the remainder of the three-hour walk. Prosecutor Wan Shaharuddin Wan Ladin said Siti had complained of shortness of breath, so he requested for the wheelchairs to be provided for the two accused.

The duo are charged with killing Mr Kim, 45, the older brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, by smearing lethal nerve agent VX on his face as he waited for his flight to Macau.

Witnesses had earlier testified at the trial that closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras at the airport had allegedly captured the two women attacking Mr Kim with the chemical weapon. Both women have pleaded not guilty, and claimed that they were tricked into carrying out the attack, which they thought was a prank for a reality TV show.

Defence lawyers had requested Judge Datuk Azmi Ariffin to allow a site visit to identify the location of the incident.

The entourage criss-crossed the airport three times, accompanied by over 200 police officers who formed a human barricade around the group, with dozens of media personnel trailing behind.

Significant locations included the self check-in kiosks at the departure hall where Mr Kim was attacked, the Bibik Heritage restaurant where Siti was seen with an unidentified man prior to the attack, as well as the clinic where Mr Kim sought medical help before he collapsed.

Four other men, who court documents describe as being "at large" are listed in the charge sheet as having the common intention to murder Mr Kim. In March, Malaysia issued an Interpol red alert for four North Korean men involved in Mr Kim's murder but it is not known if these are the same four men listed on the charge sheet.

The group was also shown the different toilets the women allegedly rushed to after the attack, where it is claimed they washed their hands to remove the toxic chemical VX, and the taxi stand from which both suspects were seen leaving the airport.

"We have to determine for ourselves the actual routes taken … It's first hand knowledge rather than seeing it through the CCTV," said Mr Gooi.

One of Doan's trio of lawyers, Salim Bashir said: "We don't want to leave any stones unturned".

Tuesday marked the ninth day of the trial, which resumes in Shah Alam High Court on Wednesday (Oct 25).

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.