Kim Jong Nam murder: Media reports no sign of son's arrival in Kuala Lumpur

 Kim Han Sol speaks during an an interview in 2012.
Kim Han Sol speaks during an an interview in 2012.PHOTO: PHOTO: SCREENGRAB FROM YOUTUBE

SEPANG (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - There was no sign of Mr Kim Han Sol at Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 (KLIA2) following speculation that he was on his way here.

As at 11pm Monday (Feb 20), reporters were seen leaving KLIA2 after failing to confirm the arrival of Mr Kim Han Sol, the son of the Mr Kim Jong Nam who was killed last Monday.

However, there was a slight commotion when a man, whom media suspected of being Mr Kim Han Sol stepped out of the domestic arrival gate.

The man, who was wearing a cap, earphones and a black face mask, walked away before the gathered media were able to ask him any questions.

Earlier in the day, a message circulated among the media that the 21-year-old son of murdered Mr Kim Jong Nam would be touching down at KLIA2 at around 7.30pm.

Media speculation was rife that he was on AirAsia flight AK8321, but those on the flight said that they were not aware of his presence.

"There was no extra security, everything was normal so I think (the rumours that Mr Kim Han Sol was on the flight) are not real," said Macau Millennium College lecturer Bo Derek Kung when met at the arrival hall upon disembarking from flight AK8321.

At press time, it could not be determined if Mr Kim Han Sol had even boarded the flight or whether he had arrived and exited via another gate.

While there was no glimpse of Mr Kim Han Sol, the arrival hall was crowded with foreign and local media, along with a small group of police officers, with reporters waiting for Mr Kim Han Sol seen leaving KLIA2 after waiting for hours for him.

Mr Kim Han Sol's 45-year-old father was killed by two women who splashed his face with a chemical at the KLIA 2 departure hall at about 9am on Monday.

Mr Kim Jong Nam, the older half-brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, was about to leave for Macau when he was attacked.

Mr Kim Han Sol, spent the first few years of his life in Pyongyang before moving to Macau. However, he would still return to North Korea in the summer to visit relatives and keep in touch with family.

He was reported to have led an "isolated childhood" in order to keep a low profile.

Like his father, Mr Kim Han Sol appears to be a moderate voice in comparison to other prominent members of their family who hold a strong grip over the world's most isolated country.