JOHOR BARU (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - Having faced uncertainty for the past two months since her alleged kidnapping, Malaysian toddler Angie Tiong has been adapting well to her new environment at a government sanctioned child protection home in Johor Baru.
State Welfare Department officer Manayi Ibrahim said that Angie was getting along fine at the home.
The home houses 29 other children aged between a month and 11 years old.
"Although there is a bit of a language barrier, as Angie only speaks Mandarin, she has been responding well and plays with her the other children. They all love and adore her," he told The Star on Thursday (Jan 7).
Manayi added that the home's environment was similar to a nursery school with activities carried out daily for the children.
Angie's 33-year-old father, who has a history of substance abuse, was accused by relatives of "selling" Angie after he took her away from her Johor Baru home on Nov 9 last year. He subsequently reported her missing on Dec 10.
She was later found to have been "adopted" by a couple living in Singapore, who surrendered her to police last week after reports emerged about her disappearance.
So far, neither Angie's biological family nor her adoptive parents have attempted to visit the girl since she was put under the department's custody on Monday (Jan 4), Manayi said.
"Nobody came to see her. Maybe they do not know how to go about to apply for a request to visit her," he added.
He added that family members who wished to visit Angie could contact the child protection officer in charge of the case.