Families of Malaysian MH370 passengers in emotional turmoil over latest debris find

KUALA LUMPUR (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - A single piece of debris washes ashore half a world away and families of the missing flight MH370 passengers and crew now find themselves on an emotional rollercoaster all over again.

As authorities work to confirm whether a flaperon found on Reunion Island is that of the ill-fated Boeing-777, relatives here say they are grappling with their feelings yet again.

For some, the find could mean closure after over a year of restlessness. For others, confirmation that the piece is part of MH370 would mean the end of all hope of seeing their loved ones again.

When news of the discovery broke, Elaine Chew tossed and turned in her bed on Wednesday night.

The wife of steward Tan Size Hiang found herself distracted at work too yesterday.

"I would fall asleep, then wake up again. I just kept thinking of the plane and Size Hiang.

"Sometimes, I hope that this is it and at times, I hope that this isn't the plane," she said.

Chew said she had become numb to the motions she had gone through several times; whenever a possible discovery was made it was dashed later.

"It's starting all over again. They would say they found this debris and you begin to hope and then in the end, it didn't belong to the plane. I don't know any more. I don't know what to think," she said.

Daughter of chief steward Andrew Nari, Maira Elizabeth, chose to shut herself off from the Internet after news of the discovery began trending on Twitter.

"I didn't want to think about it. I feel nervous, I don't know what to say about it. We are all a little restless and just waiting to see what it is," she told The Star.

However, Jacquita Gonzales, the wife of in-flight supervisor Patrick Francis Gomes, was poring over new channels and online websites to seek answers.

"There are so many questions. Why is it there? Why is it so far away from where they are searching? Why now? I am wondering and I have questions but I can only wait. It's just sickening," she said.

"I would be happy if we have some sort of closure, until we can bring Patrick back and let him rest in peace. But another part of me says no.

"There's still hope. I still want him to be alive. I'm torn."

Grace Subathirai Nathan, whose mother Anne Daisy was on board the ill-fated flight, said it was the start of another painful waiting game but she kept her hopes alive.

"As usual, it's another painful waiting game for the family members. Until there is irrefutable evidence, we will continue to hold out hope," she said.

Security guard Subramaniam Gurusamy thinks his family will get some sort of closure if the recovered flaperon is indeed MH370's.

"It has been a long, painful experience in not really knowing if your loved one is alive or dead," said the 61-year-old whose only son Puspanathan was onboard the MAS flight.

A Petronas employee, Puspanathan, 34, boarded the aircraft for a business trip to China. He is married and has two sons, aged two and four.

According to Subramaniam, his wife A. Amirtham, also 61, started crying when she heard about the discovery at Reunion Island.

"She watched the news on television and started to cry even more."