Doctor saves child whose hand got stuck in escalator at KL airport as bystanders take videos

PETALING JAYA (The Star/Asia News Network) - Dr Dalvinder Singh, 29, had just arrived in Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 (KLIA2) from Kuching on Friday (May 13) when he saw a father holding his two-year-old child at the bottom of an escalator.

"I noticed that the boy had his hand stuck in the escalator up to his forearm," he said.

"The child was crying and I did not see anyone trying to help," he said, adding that he was shocked to hear that the father had been waiting for help for 15 minutes.

"People were watching with their phones out and taking videos but no one was assisting."

After checking on the child, whose arm had gone slightly blue, he sprung into action and helped two airport maintenance staff who were trying to pry open the escalator.

The boy's arm was finally released after a few minutes, bleeding and cut with tendons exposed.

He quickly administered first aid and after a hasty thank-you, the boy was immediately taken to a nearby clinic for further treatment.

While the doctor, who is from the Sarawak State Health Department, was glad to be able to help the child, the incident has left a bitter taste in his mouth.

"What is the point of posting photos of the incident and captioning 'oh so sad'? Why not help out?" he asked. "No one can help everyone but everyone can help somebody."

A Fire and Rescue Department spokesman confirmed that an emergency call was placed at 8.48 pm and the operation was concluded by 9.40pm.

He said that the victim sustained minor injuries and was taken to Menara Medical Clinic in KLIA.

The incident is the latest of such mishaps. In February this year, a three-year-old had his foot severed after a similar incident at KL Sentral, New Straits Times said. 

The authorities have advised parents to pay closer attention to their children while using the escalator and under no circumstances should children be allowed on escalators unsupervised.