KULAI (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - It was a tragic Deepavali for a family when a 25-year-old man was killed after lighting a firecracker outside their home.
It is learnt that Mr P. Puwnaswaran suddenly slipped and fell on the firecracker which he had lit. It led to a loud explosion.
"He was badly injured all over the body and face. He was immediately rushed to the Kulai Hospital for treatment," said a friend who declined to be named.
According to the friend, Mr Puwnaswaran was then transferred to Sultanah Aminah Hospital in Johor Baru.
However, he died several hours later after the midnight freak accident in Taman Mutiara here on Monday.
"The family is devastated. This was supposed to be a happy occasion when everyone gathered to play firecrackers for Deepavali," the friend said.
He said Mr Puwnaswaran, who worked in Singapore, was a happy and cheerful person.
A police official, when contacted, confirmed the case and said investigations were under way.
He urged the public to be careful when playing with fireworks.