KUALA LUMPUR (THE STAR\ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - A 34-year-old east African man, wanted by Interpol for alleged terror links, was detained by the Bukit Aman special branch counter-terrorism unit in Selangor on Thursday.
Deputy Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Mohd Bakri Zinin said the man, who is listed on Interpol's Red Notice, was believed to be involved with the Al-Shabab terrorist faction.
Suspects on the Red Notice are wanted with a view to extradite them or for similar lawful action.
"He was previously charged with being involved in terror activities in East Africa," said Mohd Bakri.
"We are investigating his activity here to uncover Al-Shabab's links in Malaysia, who might be hiding or planning activities that might jeopardise the country's safety," he said in a statement on Thursday.
The man will be investigated under the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act, he added.
Al-Shabab is a Somalia based militant group, with ties to the Al-Qaeda.
The arrest follows recent revelations of a new Malaysian militant network in Malaysia that had established links with extremist group Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, and a Philippine separatist group.
Eleven members of the group, including a woman, were nabbed in Selangor, Kedah and Kuala Lumpur recently, with reports saying that it has been sending Malaysians to fight in Syria against the government of President Bashar al-Assad.
The militants had been trained to become experts at using heavy weapons and bombs, and in making home-made bombs, Utusan Malaysia had reported.