South China Sea row

Beijing to hold direct talks with Manila

Mr Duterte meeting Mr Xi in Beijing last October. The Philippine leader has repeatedly said he does not want to go to war with Beijing over the South China Sea row, and has pivoted Manila's foreign policy away from the US towards China.
Mr Duterte meeting Mr Xi in Beijing last October. The Philippine leader has repeatedly said he does not want to go to war with Beijing over the South China Sea row, and has pivoted Manila's foreign policy away from the US towards China.PHOTO: EUROPEAN PRESSPHOTO AGENCY

Philippines says China will host talks on consultation mechanism

MANILA • China and the Philippines will hold direct talks on their maritime dispute in May, Filipino officials said yesterday, as President Rodrigo Duterte seeks stronger economic ties with Beijing.

Last year, a UN-backed international tribunal rejected Beijing's claims to most of the South China Sea, including disputed areas close to the coasts of its neighbours.

But Mr Duterte, elected last year, has played down that ruling and pushed for rapprochement with Beijing as he seeks billions of dollars in trade and investment from it.

China this week offered to host a meeting in May of a "bilateral consultation mechanism" to tackle issues related to the sea row, the Philippine foreign department said.

"This is a new proposal, a bilateral consultation mechanism specifically on the South China Sea," spokesman Charles Jose told reporters.

China rejects the tribunal's ruling and asserts sovereignty over almost all of the South China Sea, despite partial counter-claims from Brunei, Taiwan, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam.

It has extensively reclaimed reefs and installed military and other facilities, including airstrips, on some outcrops in the waterway.

China has always favoured bilateral talks with each rival claimant instead of with all parties, as was previously favoured by the Philippines.

Analysts say direct talks with smaller neighbours would allow China to exert its massive economic and political leverage in a region dependent on Chinese trade.

Mr Jose said the Chinese invitation for the May bilateral talks set no pre-conditions. "What is important is we have a peaceful means (to resolve the dispute)," he added.

Mr Duterte, 72, has repeatedly said he does not want to go to war with Beijing over the sea row. He has pivoted his nation's foreign policy away from traditional ally the United States towards China.

Mr Jose said the direct talks would be the "platform" where Manila could raise issues like Beijing's construction of artificial islands.

Both nations are still finalising details of the talks, he added.

Mr Duterte's spokesman hailed the proposed meeting. "Through this bilateral mechanism, mutual trust and maritime cooperation will be forged and misunderstandings will be avoided," Mr Ernesto Abella said.

Mr Duterte last week heaped praise on China for improving trade relations and for supposedly committing not to build on another disputed shoal that lies even closer to the Philippines than the reclaimed reefs.

"China has a word of honour," he said. "Whatever China says, in good stead, it will really do."

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on March 30, 2017, with the headline 'Beijing to hold direct talks with Manila'. Print Edition | Subscribe