Activist's murder solved, say Sarawak police
KUCHING • Sarawak police believe they have solved the murder of activist and opposition member Bill Kayong, following the arrest of six suspects and the recovery of the murder weapon.
Sarawak Police Commissioner Mazlan Mansor said yesterday that police have seized a shotgun - believed to have been used to kill Mr Kayong - several shotgun bullets and a used cartridge.
Mr Kayong, who was secretary at the Parti Keadilan Rakyat's Miri branch, was gunned down while waiting in his vehicle at a traffic light junction in Miri on June 21.
THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK
US may change rules for civilians in Okinawa base
TOKYO • Some US civilians working on military bases in Japan are likely to lose their protected legal status under planned changes announced by Washington yesterday, as anger mounts over the rape and murder of a local woman.
The promised moves come after civilian worker Kenneth Franklin Shinzato was charged last month over the death of 20-year-old Rina Shimabukuro on the southern island of Okinawa.
The killing has led to a spike in anti-base sentiment, already running high among Okinawans over a series of crimes, including drink-driving offences.
Official charged for slur against Suu Kyi
YANGON • An official in Myanmar has been charged with defamation for referring to state councillor Aung San Suu Kyi with a slur parroted by the former junta that she spent decades campaigning against.
Ms Suu Kyi, now leading the first civilian government in nearly half a century, is revered by many in a nation brutalised by decades of repressive military rule.
Police said yesterday that a court in central Magway charged a planning official from Salin township over Facebook posts that referred to Ms Suu Kyi with a racial slur used by the former junta to draw attention to her marriage to a British academic.
Duterte accuses 5 police generals of drug crimes
MANILA • Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has publicly accused five police generals of involvement in the drug trade and said only he would be accountable for a bloody crackdown that has left 30 people dead since he took office last week.
Three of the generals were retired, including one current mayor, while the two serving officers were relieved of their duties, he said yesterday.
The accused mayor, Mr Vicente Loot, has denied any involvement and said he deserved a fair hearing.