8 people, including military doctor, to be charged over murder of Malaysian prosecutor

Mr Kevin Morais, a top officer at Malaysia's AGC, was reported missing on Sept 4. His body was found in an oil drum in a swamp.
Mr Kevin Morais, a top officer at Malaysia's AGC, was reported missing on Sept 4. His body was found in an oil drum in a swamp.PHOTO: YOUTUBE

PETALING JAYA (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - Eight people, including a military doctor, are expected to be charged in two courts, in Petaling Jaya and Kuala Lumpur, on Monday (Sept 28) over the murder of Deputy Public Prosecutor Anthony Kevin Morais.

It is learnt that one of the suspects is set to be charged at a magistrate's court here with abetment.

Seven others are to be charged at the KL magistrate's court - six with murder, and one for abetment.

All the accused face mandatory death sentences if convicted.

The eight are among 11 people detained by the police to assist in investigations into Morais' abduction and murder.

According to sources, police have compiled investigation reports against the 11 suspects to determine the mastermind and to ascertain the motive of the murder.

"The investigations were centred on murder and abetment. Several suspects, including the army doctor, have their remand orders expiring on Tuesday," said a source familiar with the probe.

Another source said the remaining suspects would be released soon.

The doctor, a colonel in his 50s at the Tuanku Mizan Military Hospital, had been charged with bribery over the alleged recommendation of companies to provide medicine and medical implements to the hospital. Mr Morais was the prosecutor in the case, the police said.

The DPP's body was found in an oil drum dumped in a swamp on Sept 16.

He was abducted after leaving his residence in Menara Duta for work at Putrajaya on Sept 4.

Mr Morais' family members have yet to claim his remains because they want to know the cause of his death.

Deputy Inspector-General of Police Noor Rashid Ibrahim said Mr Morais' family wanted a confirmation from the Forensic Department of Kuala Lumpur Hospital.

Datuk Seri Noor Rashid, in a statement, clarified that there were biological relations between the remains and his family members.

Mr Noor Rashid said the police needed more time for DNA tests to be completed before they could release the body.

He told reporters during a Hari Raya Haji function at the police headquarters that the body had been identified from the clothes, but the police had to adhere to procedures.

A memorial service for the former deputy head of the appellate and trial division in the Attorney-General's Chambers was held at the Nirvana Memorial Centre without his remains.