GEORGE TOWN (The Star/Asia News Network) - Three suspects detained in the case of assault victim T. Nhaveen were on Saturday (June 17) remanded for four days to assist in investigations.
The three are among five youths who were arrested following the brutal attack against Nhaveen, 18, and his friend T. Previin, 19, in Jalan Kaki Bukit, Bukit Gelugor on June 10.
The trio were brought to court at 11.12am Saturday for a remand application, which was granted by a magistrate's court here.
The other two suspects were brought to court Friday for investigations over a separate extortion incident.
George Town OCPD Asst Comm Anuar Omar said the duo, aged 16 and 17, were under investigation for a separate case of extortion and rioting last month.
The cause of T. Nhaveen's death was blunt force trauma to the head, suffered when he was bludgeoned by five attackers believed to be his ex-schoolmates, Penang deputy police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Roslee Chik said on Friday.
"As far as we are concerned, the investigation is complete. We now await confirmation from the Attorney-General's Chambers to charge the suspects with murder," said Chik.
There had been questions over whether the 18-year-old could have died in hospital from other complications.
On Tuesday, George Town OCPD Asst Comm Anuar Omar revealed that Nhaveen had undergone treatment some time ago for a growth in his brain.
One of his aunts also told the media that he had been on medication for epilepsy.