NEW DELHI (AFP) - Militant Islamists told Indian police interrogators last year of plans for a possible attack in the area of Hyderabad where twin blasts killed 14 people, a senior police official said on Friday.
"We interrogated two militants (from the Indian Mujahideen group), who said they had recced various spots in Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Pune for a possible attack. One of the places they mentioned was Dilsukh Nagar, which was hit last night," Mr S.N. Shrivastava, a Delhi police commissioner, told AFP.
He said that his team shared the information with police in Hyderabad immediately, who then flew to Delhi to conduct their own interrogation of the militants.
The attacks, the first deadly bombings to hit India since 2011, hit a packed district in Hyderabad, a hub of the country's computing industry which hosts local offices of Google and Microsoft among others.
Many of those killed and injured were daily wage labourers stopping to pick up food at the local fruit market before heading home.
While Hindus form the majority of the population in Hyderabad, one of India's largest and most historic cities, there is a sizeable community of Muslims living in the old quarter.
Indian Mujahideen has claimed responsibility for numerous bomb blasts in Indian cities in recent years, and is often listed as a suspect in attacks across the country.