Letter From The Bureau Ep 6: Celebrating Chuseok and observing gender inequality in South Korea
Synopsis: The Straits Times' foreign editor Bhagyashree Garekar chats with ST's correspondents in the Asia-Pacific, the US and Europe every month.
They talk about life as it goes on, amid the screaming headlines and bubbling crises.
In this episode, she chats with ST's South Korea correspondent Chang May Choon about the following:
1. What is Chuseok; difference between Chuseok celebrations, pre and post-Covid-19 (1:04)
2. South Korea - a still-patriarchal society or a modern, technologically-driven nation? (6:18)
3. Blatant gender inequality in everyday life, even in schools and the workforce (9:40)
4. May Choon's personal experience of Chuseok and gender divide in South Korea (13:46)
5. Newer Chuseok traditions being created by modern Korean mothers-in-law (17:06)
Produced by: Bhagyashree Garekar (firstname.lastname@example.org), Ernest Luis, Hadyu Rahim & Fa'izah Sani
Edited by: Hadyu Rahim & Dan Koh
Subscribe to our Asian Insider Podcast channel to follow our various shows each week and rate us on your favourite audio apps:
Apple Podcasts: https://str.sg/JWa8
Google Podcasts: https://str.sg/Ju4h
Feedback to: email@example.com
Read Chang May Choon's stories.
Read more of ST's Letters From The Bureau.
Asian Insider newsletter.
Asian Insider videos.
Discover more ST podcast series:
Asian Insider Podcast: https://str.sg/JWa7
Green Pulse Podcast: https://str.sg/JWaf
Health Check Podcast: https://str.sg/JWaN
ST Sports Talk Podcast: https://str.sg/JWRE
Life Weekend Picks Podcast: https://str.sg/JWa2
#PopVultures Podcast: https://str.sg/JWad
Bookmark This! Podcast: https://str.sg/JWas
Lunch With Sumiko Podcast: https://str.sg/J6hQ
Discover BT Podcasts: https://bt.sg/pcPL
Follow our shows then, if you like short, practical podcasts!