US says door to dialogue remains open for North Korea

A missile being launched during a military drill in North Korea, in this photo supplied by state news agency Korean Central News Agency yesterday. Pyongyang, reeling from the shock of a failed summit with US President Donald Trump in Hanoi, has rampe
A missile being launched during a military drill in North Korea, in this photo supplied by state news agency Korean Central News Agency yesterday. Pyongyang, reeling from the shock of a failed summit with US President Donald Trump in Hanoi, has ramped up pressure on Washington with a series of military moves.PHOTO: REUTERS

Envoy eases fears that missile launches by Pyongyang could derail denuclearisation efforts

The door to dialogue remains open for North Korea, the United States' top nuclear envoy says, assuaging rising concerns that Pyongyang's two missile launches this past week could derail denuclearisation efforts made so far.

Mr Stephen Biegun, who was in Seoul for talks when the North fired two ballistic missiles on Thursday, stressed the importance of maintaining communication and cooperation between Washington and Pyongyang during a meeting with South Korea's Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha yesterday.

Please or to continue reading the full article. Learn more about ST PREMIUM.

Enjoy unlimited access to ST's best work

  • Exclusive stories and features on multiple devices
  • In-depth analyses and opinion pieces
  • ePaper and award-winning multimedia content
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on May 11, 2019, with the headline 'US says door to dialogue remains open for N. Korea'. Print Edition | Subscribe