TAIPEI • Taiwan prosecutors are seeking prison terms totalling 49 years for a television entertainer after they indicted him on various counts of rape and attempted rape involving eight women, including a 14-year-old girl.
The Taipei District Prosecutors' Office said in a press statement on Friday that it had ended a probe into allegations against the entertainer, who was identified only by his surname Chin. They indicted him on seven counts of rape and three counts of attempted rape.
The accused is reported to be Chin Wei, 49, who was named in previous media reports as a suspect in a rape investigation by Taipei prosecutors.
He could not be reached for comment following the indictment, according to several media reports.
One of his victims was allegedly raped in 2002 when she was only 14. Identified in court as Victim F, she was a member of Chin's fan club and was raped while accompanying him to a recording session at a Taipei studio. He allegedly attempted to rape Victim F again in 2003, according to prosecutors.
Another woman, identified as Victim B, was only 17 when she was allegedly raped by Chin in 2007. Chin had met the victim at a convenience store and offered to cast her in a music video. He later drove her to a motel and raped her, prosecutors said. He allegedly raped her again a few days later.
The alleged offences took place between 2002 and 2013. The prosecution said it is seeking a six-year prison term for each count of rape in the cases of the underage victims, and four years each for the other rape charges. It is seeking a total of 49 years' jail, including seven years for the charges of attempted rape.
Chin is known for his long recovery from serious burns he sustained while recording a TV programme in 1997 in which a stunt involving fire went awry.
Following his recovery, he returned to show business and played an active role in charity work, earning him a healthy public image.
He often spoke publicly about his recovery and offered encouragement and support to the victims of last year's Formosa Fun Coast dust explosions, which claimed 15 lives and injured more than 500 people.
THE CHINA POST/ASIA NEWS NETWORK