SEOUL (REUTERS, AFP) - The foreign ministers of the United States and South Korea agreed to continue working towards creating the right conditions for the United States and North Korea to talk, the South’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Friday (May 25).
South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung Wha and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo held a phone call and made the remarks after US President Donald Trump called off a June summit with North Korea, the statement said.
South Korea's Unification Minister said on Friday (May 25) that Seoul will press ahead with improving ties with North Korea after Mr Trump abruptly cancelled the summit with Pyongyang's leader Kim Jong Un.
"Our government will do its part in carrying out the Panmunjom Declaration," Unification Minister Cho Myoung Gyon told reporters according to Yonhap, referring to the landmark agreement to bolster ties and push towards denuclearisation signed last month by Mr Kim and South Korean President Moon Jae In.
"It appears that (the North) remains sincere in implementing the agreement and making efforts on denuclearisation and peace building," he added.