SEOUL (BLOOMBERG) - South Korea plans to announce a set of independent sanctions against North Korea to follow up a United Nations Security Council resolution punishing the Pyongyang regime for a fourth nuclear test and long-range rocket launch, Yonhap News reported.
The sanctions may be announced early this week, Yonhap reported Sunday (March 6), citing an unidentified government official. They will include a ban on entry by vessels that have previously made a call at a North Korean port and blacklist people and groups linked to North Korea's development of weapons of mass destruction, it said.
The report comes after the Philippines said Saturday (March 5) that it had impounded a North Korean-controlled vessel in line with a security council resolution that requires inspection of all cargo entering or leaving North Korea. It is the first case of UN sanctions being enforced against North Korean ships since the security council unanimously approved them on Wednesday.
The resolution also limits or bans North Korea's exports of certain mineral resources, a key source of hard currency for Kim Jong Un's regime, as well as imports of small arms. It bans financial institutions from opening new branches or accounts in the country and blacklists a number of North Koreans, including officials active in Iran, Syria and Vietnam.
North Korea conducted its fourth nuclear test on Jan 6 and followed it up weeks later with a long-range rocket launch, which the UN views as a test of a ballistic missile that could eventually carry a nuclear warhead. North Korea on Friday threatened "strong and merciless physical" actions against the US and other nations over the resolution.