SEOUL (AFP) - A South Korean activist said on Thursday he would consider suspending the planned launch into North Korea of tens of thousands of copies of a Hollywood film that infuriated Pyongyang.
Mr Park Sang Hak had planned to send 100,000 copies of Sony Pictures' The Interview, about a fictional plot to kill North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, across the border by balloon.
Mr Park had intended to start floating DVDs and USB memory sticks with the film into North Korea from late January - a move sure to provoke a furious reaction from Pyongyang.
Mr Park, a North Korean defector, said he would never succumb to any "threats" from the North, but might consider delaying the operation. "I would be willing to suspend it for a while if I get an official request from the (South Korean) government, to help the two Koreas resume a dialogue," he told AFP.
North Korea condemned the comedy, starring Seth Rogen and James Franco, but has denied FBI accusations that it was behind a massive cyber attack on Sony last month.
In a New Year address last week, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un held out the possibility of summit talks with South Korea, but said Seoul must first ban all launches of anti-Pyongyang material over the border.
The South says it has no power to prevent activists exercising their freedom of expression, although police have stepped in to halt planned launches at times of heightened cross-border tension.