Samsung Group says it does not accept bribery accusations by South Korea's special prosecutors

The Samsung logo displayed atop the entrance to a store in Seoul on Jan 13, 2017. The South Korean conglomerate 
dismissed on Monday, Jan 16, 2017, the special prosecutors’ accusations that its leader, Mr 
Jay Y. Lee, paid bribes in 2015.
The Samsung logo displayed atop the entrance to a store in Seoul on Jan 13, 2017. The South Korean conglomerate dismissed on Monday, Jan 16, 2017, the special prosecutors’ accusations that its leader, Mr Jay Y. Lee, paid bribes in 2015. PHOTO: BLOOMBERG

SEOUL (REUTERS) - South Korean conglomerate Samsung Group said on Monday (Jan 16) that it could not accept the special prosecutors' accusations that its leader Lee Jae Yong paid bribes to further his succession or the merger of two affiliates in 2015.

"It is difficult to understand the special prosecution's decision," Samsung Group said in an e-mail statement in response to the special prosecutors' decision to request an arrest warrant for Mr Lee, the third-generation leader of South Korea's top conglomerate.

The prosecutors also said in their indictment of National Pension Service (NPS) chief Moon Hyung Pyo that he received an order from President Park Geun Hye to help the 2015 merger of Samsung C&T and Cheil Industries succeed.

Moon was indicted on charges of abuse of power and giving false testimony. He was arrested in December after acknowledging that he ordered the world's third-largest pension fund to support the US$8 billion (S$11.4 billion) merger last year of two Samsung Group affiliates while he was head of the health ministry, which oversees the NPS.

(This story is developing)