TIANJIN • A monument will be built in memory of those who lost their lives in the deadly Tianjin blast last month, Binhai New Area authorities announced.
Tianjin plans to build a 24ha park on the site of the blast, and the monument will be given the pride of place, said the Binhai New Area Planning and Land Resources Administration last Friday.
There are also plans to build primary schools and kindergartens in the area, and more than 5,000 apartments have been made available to those who lost their homes as a result of the explosion.
On Aug 12, two explosions ripped through a warehouse in Tianjin Port in north-east China. The warehouse was storing large amounts of toxic chemicals, including around 700 tonnes of sodium cyanide.
The blasts killed 160 people. Eight firefighters and five civilians are still missing, while hundreds more remain hospitalised.
Meanwhile, the authorities said last Friday that cyanide was detected at the blast site by 17 water-quality monitoring stations. Five reported excessive levels of the potentially deadly chemical.