HONG KONG - A man who set off a firebomb in a crowded Hong Kong MTR train during three months ago died from his injuries in hospital on Sunday (May 14), South Morning Post reported.
Cheung Kam Fai, 60, was arrested over the attack during the evening rush hour on Feb 10, leaving 19 people injured.
Witnesses said he cried out "burn you to death" before drawing the petrol bomb and lighting it.
Cheung had been charged with one count of arson with intent, but he never made it to court, due to his injuries, SCMP said.
The court had been regularly scheduling new hearing dates, with the next session slated for Monday, it added.
A government spokesman confirmed that Cheung, who was a security guard, died at about 5.19am on Sunday at Prince of Wales Hospital in Sha Tin, where he had been transferred to in critical condition since the incident, reported SCMP.
The spokesman would not disclose the cause of death, but sources cited "organ failure".
Police said Cheung told them that he started the fire for "personal reasons" and officers were still investigating if he had deliberately targeted other passengers or only tried to set himself alight.
The attack sparked concerns over the safety of the city's railway network, especially after it was revealed that only half of trains in the fleet had surveillance cameras.
New trains equipped with such systems will be ready by 2018.