HONG KONG • A bus driver has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving, after his double-decker overturned last week on a road in Hong Kong's New Territories, killing 19 people.
The suspect, Chan Ho Ming, 30, who declared he was a cook, appeared at the Fanling Magistrates' Court yesterday looking tired after his hearing, reported the South China Morning Post.
Prosecutors, who were given eight more weeks for investigation, said Chan could be slapped with more serious charges, pending legal advice.
Nineteen people died and 66 others were injured last Saturday when a double-decker belonging to KMB bus company, travelling from Sha Tin race course towards Tai Po, suddenly swerved out of control and flipped on its side while making a turn near Tai Po Mei.
It was the city's deadliest traffic accident in more than a decade.
The Hong Kong and national flags were flown at half mast at the government headquarters in Admiralty yesterday to mourn the dead victims from the bus.
Chief Executive Carrie Lam said city officials would refrain from attending any major celebratory events in the "next one or two weeks".
Since Sunday, some HK$42.5 million (S$7.2 million) had been raised by a number of charities to help the injured and families of those who died, according to Mrs Lam on Monday.