China invites ex-soldiers over
BEIJING - China has said it will welcome former soldiers living in Taiwan who fought against Japan in World War II to take part in commemorations marking 70 years since the end of the conflict in Asia.
Chinese President Xi Jinping will oversee events including a parade through Beijing's Tiananmen Square on Sept 3 and has invited foreign military officials to take part, though he has not said explicitly who will come.
After World War II, Chinese communists and nationalists resumed a civil war that ended when the nationalist forces withdrew to Taiwan in 1949.
Mr Ma Xiaoguang, spokesman for China's Taiwan Affairs Office, said yesterday that Beijing would welcome anyone from Taiwan to take part, but especially old soldiers and their family members and descendants, state news agency Xinhua reported.
Police take minister's statement
KUALA LUMPUR - Malaysian police said they have already recorded the statement of Tourism and Culture Minister Nazri Aziz regarding his comment to the Johor Crown Prince.
The Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar said Mr Nazri had his statement recorded last week following his spat with Johor's Tunku Ismail Ibni Sultan Ibrahim.
"We will hand over investigation papers to the Attorney-General's Chambers soon," he told a news conference on Tuesday.
Tunku Ismail had made a critical remark when Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak did not show up for a dialogue on national issues on June 5.
On June 13, Mr Nazri told Tunku Ismail to stay out of politics unless he wanted to be subject to the same rules as other politicians and risk being "whacked".
THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK