Asia Briefs: 10 die in tour bus crash in South Korea

10 die in tour bus crash in South Korea

SEOUL • A South Korean tour bus carrying a group of retirees crashed and caught fire on a highway near the south-eastern city of Ulsan, killing 10 people, police said yesterday, adding that the driver survived and had been arrested.

Highway closed-circuit television footage showed the bus, which was carrying 19 passengers, swerving in seemingly normal traffic and catching fire after hitting the highway guard rail late on Thursday. Mr Choi Ik Soo, chief of police at the Ulju county in Ulsan, said the driver was arrested on suspicion of involuntary manslaughter and that the authorities were investigating.

REUTERS


Philippines to stop probe into killings

MANILA• The Philippine Senate Committee has decided to stop its investigation into extrajudicial killings by police and vigilantes since President Rodrigo Duterte took office with an anti-crime crackdown.

The leader of the committee, Senator Richard Gordon, said on Thursday the committee has decided to stop investigating the killings related to Mr Duterte's anti-drug war and would release a written report on the matter on Monday, CNN reported. Mr Gordon is an ally of Mr Duterte's.

The move will bring to an end the probe into the deaths of more than 1,000 people reportedly killed by suspected vigilantes since Mr Duterte assumed office in June.


Woman mauled by tiger sues Beijing park

SHANGHAI • A woman who was mauled by a tiger after getting out of her car at a wild animal park in Beijing is suing the park, saying she had not been fully informed of the park's dangers and had left the vehicle as she was carsick.

Her mother was attacked and killed by another tiger after she got out of the car to try to save her.

The woman is seeking 2 million yuan (S$412,000) from Badaling Wildlife World, the Beijing Times reported.

She said a park official nearby failed to go to their rescue and she had signed an agreement not to exit her vehicle without knowing what it was.

REUTERS


Indian police, FBI seek call centre fraud kingpin

MUMBAI • Indian police held talks with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) yesterday as they believed that the kingpin of a multimillion-dollar tax scam that duped thousands of United States citizens had fled the country.

An FBI official met police in Mumbai a week after raids on the outskirts of the city blew the lid off the elaborate racket, in which victims were accused of failing to pay taxes and threatened with jail if they did not pay immediately.

More than 770 employees were rounded up from three bogus call centres in last week's raids. Seventy-two were arrested and are suspected of posing as tax officials from the US Internal Revenue Service.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on October 15, 2016, with the headline 'Asia Briefs'. Print Edition | Subscribe