BEIJING (AFP) - Chinese police have caught three suspects in a railway station attack that left 29 people dead and 143 injured, state media said on Monday.
"Three suspects involved in the terrorist attack in the southwestern city of Kunming had been captured," the official news agency Xinhua said, citing the ministry of public security. One of them was a woman, it said.
It said a "terrorist gang of eight members", with a leader identified as Abdurehim Kurban, was responsible for the attack.
State television said earlier a female suspect was wounded and captured in the attack. Four were shot dead.
China has blamed separatists from its restive far-western region of Xinjiang - home to the mainly Muslim Uighur minority - for what it describes as an act of terror, with state media dubbing the incident "China's 9/11".
With 20 of the 143 wounded in the attack still in a "critical condition", according to state media late Monday, defiant Kunming residents queued to donate blood for victims, while others vented their anger.
And Chinese Internet users accused the United States of double standards, after Washington condemned the bloody rampage by knife-wielding attackers but refrained from calling it a terrorist incident.
Foreign ministry spokesman Qin Gang told reporters that "some East Turkestan flags were found on the scene", referring to a group Beijing regards as a separatist terrorist movement.