World Briefs: Israel minister resigns over sexual allegations

Israel minister resigns over sexual allegations

JERUSALEM • Israel's Interior Minister and Vice-Premier, Mr Silvan Shalom, has said he is resigning from his posts and leaving politics over media reports of sexual harassment and indecent assault.

Former staff of Mr Shalom have made multiple allegations of sexual misconduct against him, reported Israeli media, led by the left-leaning Haaretz. Israel has been plagued by many high-level sex cases, notably the December 2010 conviction of former president Moshe Katsav for rape and sexual assault.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE


Schools in another US city shut after threat

WASHINGTON • The authorities in the north-eastern United States city of Nashua said they ordered schools closed yesterday after a threat, less than a week after Los Angeles city officials took a similar decision.

"Because the threat is specific and extends to several schools, we will be cautious and close all of our public schools in Nashua," said Mr Mark Conrad, superintendent of the Nashua School District, on Sunday.

Nashua is a city of around 87,000 people in the state of New Hampshire.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE


Man detained over Air France false alarm

PARIS • French border police detained a man yesterday after an Air France plane had to make an emergency landing in Kenya over a suspicious device later found to be harmless, prosecutors said.

Air France staff decided late last Saturday to divert the plane to the nearest airport, during a flight from Mauritius to Paris, after a passenger found the object in the toilets and alerted crew.

Prosecutors gave no details about the man taken into custody. BFM TV said he was a former police officer and had been detained on arrival in Paris.

REUTERS


Saudi Arabia intercepts missile fired from Yemen

RIYADH • Saudi Arabia intercepted a missile fired before dawn yesterday from Yemen towards its southern border region, the coalition said, in the latest such attack despite a ceasefire and peace talks.

The Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen since March said air defences stopped the missile from reaching the kingdom's southern Jazan district. "Air forces immediately destroyed the launch pad inside Yemen," said the coalition.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on December 22, 2015, with the headline 'World Briefs'. Print Edition | Subscribe