While You Were Sleeping: 5 stories you might have missed, Sept 23 edition

Pope Francis arrives for historic first US visit to welcome by President Barack Obama

Pope Francis arrived in the United States on Tuesday for his first visit - a historic six-day trip to the spiritual home of capitalism after his tour of communist-ruled Cuba.

US President Barack Obama, his wife Michelle and their daughters Malia and Sasha shook hands with Francis on the red carpet rolled out on the tarmac.

Mr Obama will host Francis at the White House on Wednesday. The Pope will make two key speeches during his visit, addressing the US Congress on Thursday and the United Nations on Friday.

READ MORE HERE

Victim in alleged bullying case at Shuqun Secondary files police report

The mother of one of the victims in a case of alleged bullying at Shuqun Secondary School has made a police report, The Straits Times understands.

A clip of the incident, which happened last Friday (Sept 18), shows a male student from the school hitting two others on their heads repeatedly. Both victims kept their heads bowed and did not retaliate.

Education Minister Heng Swee Keat, responding to questions about the incident on the sidelines of the Ministry of Education's work plan seminar, said on Tuesday that the ministry will be looking into the case.

READ MORE HERE

Muslim teen arrested for clock pulled from Texas school

A Muslim teenager who became an overnight sensation after a Texas teacher mistook his homemade clock for a bomb has been withdrawn from his school, local media reported Tuesday.

Ahmed Mohamed, 14, won invitations to the White House, Google and Facebook last week amid a surge of public support for the aspiring inventor who was taken away from school in handcuffs.

Mohamed's father told the Dallas Morning News that all three of the family's children are being withdrawn from the Irving Independent School District. "These kids aren't going to be happy there," Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed told the paper.

READ MORE HERE

Football: Costa banned for three matches over Koscielny clash

Chelsea's Spain forward Diego Costa was on Tuesday banned for three matches for raising his hands to the face of Arsenal centre-back Laurent Koscielny.

Costa was found guilty of violent conduct during Chelsea's 2-0 Premier League win over their London rivals on Saturday.

The 26-year-old former Atletico Madrid striker had denied the Football Association charge over the incident, which had been missed by referee Mike Dean.

READ MORE HERE

One Direction announces album after split speculation

One Direction on Tuesday announced a new album for later this year, putting to rest speculation of an imminent breakup following the departure of Zayn Malik.

The British boy band said that Made In The A.M. would come out on Nov 13.

The four remaining members of the band made the announcement in a short video posted on Twitter. Band member Harry Styles promised an "instant treat" of one song, entitled Infinity, available for download to fans who pre-order the album.

READ MORE HERE