While You Were Sleeping: 5 stories you might have missed, Sept 16 edition

US warns against 'provocation' after North Korea confirms reactor restart

The United States Tuesday urged North Korea to refrain from "irresponsible provocation" after the communist state confirmed the restarting of a nuclear reactor seen as its main source of weapons-grade plutonium.

Pyongyang's confirmation, by the head of the North's Atomic Energy Institute, came hard on the heels of suggestions by the chief of the national space agency of a possible satellite rocket launch next month.

The US intervention came as analysts saw the North Korean moves as aimed at raising tensions in order to place North Korea firmly on the agenda of an expected US-China summit later this month.

READ MORE HERE

US arrests 15-year-old for reported ISIS-inspired plot to attack Pope Francis

US authorities arrested a 15-year-old last month for allegedly plotting an ISIS-inspired attack that US media said had Pope Francis as its target.

Pope Francis is scheduled to visit the United States from Sept 22-27 for the first time, in a tour culminating with an outdoor mass in Philadelphia after stops in Washington and New York.

The US Department of Homeland Security and the FBI disclosed the unidentified 15-year-old's arrest in a joint intelligence bulletin Aug 14, without mentioning that the Pope was the target.

READ MORE HERE

Serbia says 'cannot handle' migrant influx

EU-hopeful Serbia on Tuesday said it was unable to handle the sheer number of migrants gathered on its sealed border with Hungary and called on the European Union to sort out the record migrant crisis.

"This is a serious crisis for the EU which must treat it seriously and with a clear plan," Serbian Foreign Minister Ivica Dacic told reporters in Prague.

"The idea of returning all migrants to Serbia, with others flowing in from Greece and Macedonia, is unacceptable, because we would then become the centre of arrivals," he said after talks with Czech counterpart Lubomir Zaoralek.

READ MORE HERE

British cancer boy Ashya returns to Prague a year after treatment

British cancer boy Ashya King returned to Prague on Tuesday, a year after his parents snatched him from a British hospital and brought him over to the Czech Republic for life-saving brain tumour treatment.

"Everything is improving with Ashya," his father Brett told reporters in Prague while the six-year-old smiled and walked around on unsteady legs.

Ashya's case made headlines when his parents removed him from a British hospital against the doctors' orders in August 2014, sparking an international manhunt.

READ MORE HERE

Football: PSV come from behind to beat Manchester United

Luciano Narsingh scored a second-half winner as PSV Eindhoven came from a goal down to beat Manchester United 2-1 on a night of setbacks for the English side in the Champions League on Tuesday.

United left back Luke Shaw (above left) suffered what appeared to be a serious injury and was taken off on a stretcher with an oxygen mask strapped to his face in the early stages of the Group B game.

READ MORE HERE