While You Were Sleeping: 5 stories you might have missed, Nov 21 edition

Mali hotel hostage crisis ends with at least 27 dead

Suspected Islamist gunmen stormed a luxury hotel in Mali’s capital on Friday, firing automatic weapons and seizing more than 100 guests and staff in a hostage-taking that left at least 27 people dead.

Special forces staged a dramatic floor-by-floor rescue at the Radisson Blu hotel in Bamako, according to local television and security sources, to end the nine-hour siege.

The assault, which France has said was likely masterminded by notorious Algerian militant Mokhtar Belmokhtar, added to fears over the global Islamic militant threat a week after the Paris massacre that left 130 people dead.

READ MORE HERE

Woman who died in Paris raid likely not wearing suicide belt: Source

Investigators sorting through body parts from a flat raided by French police on Wednesday now believe Hasna Aitboulahcen, the woman who died there, was not the one wearing a suicide belt, a source close to the investigation said.  

Headlines flashed around the world this week that Aitboulahcen had become Europe’s first woman suicide bomber, after officials said they believed she had blown herself up at the scene of the raid in a northern Paris suburb.  

Two other people died at the flat in Saint-Denis on the city’s outskirts after Aitboulahcen, believed to be the cousin of suspected Paris Nov 13 attacks mastermind Abdelhamid Abaaoud, took Abaaoud there on Tuesday evening. 

READ MORE HERE

Russians inscribe 'For Paris' on bombs destined for Syria

Russian ground crew are inscribing the words "For Paris" on some bombs destined to be dropped on targets in Syria, in a message of solidarity with the victims of last week's Paris attacks.

A video posted online by the Defence Ministry at also shows a serviceman writing "For Our Guys" on a bomb at Russia's Hmeymim airbase.

"Pilots and technicians of Hmeymim airbase have sent their message to terrorists by priority airmail," said a caption accompanying the post.

READ MORE HERE

Football: Mourinho rules out January spending spree

Jose Mourinho insists he will not ask the Chelsea board to strengthen his squad when the transfer window reopens in January.

The manager is currently working to halt his side's alarming decline this season just months after they were crowned champions in May.

A woeful start to the season means Mourinho's side face Norwich City this weekend in 16th place, with the prospects of recovering to challenge for a top four finish already slim just 12 games into the Premier League season.

READ MORE HERE

Tennis: Nadal outlasts Ferrer in battle of Spaniards

Rafael Nadal emulated Roger Federer by winning a third successive round-robin match at the ATP World Tour Finals on Friday, edging fellow Spaniard David Ferrer at the O2 Arena.

With Nadal already in the semi-finals from the Ilie Nastase Group and Ferrer going home after two defeats, it could have been a non-event but the packed arena was treated to the longest match of the group stage with Nadal winning 6-7(2) 6-3 6-4 after two hours 37 minutes.

Nadal, twice a runner-up at the Tour Finals, will face Serbia's world No. 1 Novak Djokovic in Saturday's last four.

READ MORE HERE