While You Were Sleeping: 5 stories you might have missed, March 17 edition

US President Donald Trump speaks during the Friends of Ireland Luncheon at the US Capitol in Washington, March 16, 2017.
US President Donald Trump speaks during the Friends of Ireland Luncheon at the US Capitol in Washington, March 16, 2017.PHOTO: EPA

No evidence Trump Tower bugged by Obama, say Senate intelligence chiefs

President Donald Trump's controversial allegation that the Obama administration wiretapped his Trump Tower in New York wilted further when two top US senators said they saw no evidence to back the claim.

Republican Richard Burr, chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, and the committee's Democratic vice-chairman Mark Warner, said in a statement that they had received no information to support Trump's claim, made in a tweet on March 4.

"Based on the information available to us, we see no indications that Trump Tower was the subject of surveillance by any element of the United States government either before or after Election Day 2016," they said.

On March 4, Trump sparked a furore with tweets that accused former President Barack Obama of ordering a wiretap on the New York skyscraper, where Trump and his family live and run his real estate empire.

READ MORE HERE

French high school shooter was fascinated with guns, Columbine massacre in US

The French student who shot his headmaster and pupils in his high school in southeastern France on Thursday was fascinated with the 1999 Columbine massacre in the United States, his social media profiles showed.

The 16-year old son of an ultra-conservative local councillor in the Mediterranean town of Grasse, world famous as a centre for perfume production, updated his Facebook profile three days ago with the photo of a zombie-like skeleton in a long leather coat, carrying two assault weapons.

Armed with a shotgun, handguns, a grenade and possibly a homemade explosive device, he barged into his school, shooting his principal who tried to intervene as he went through the school’s hallways.

READ MORE HERE

Selena Gomez reveals Instagram addiction, low self-esteem

Pop star Selena Gomez said she cancelled her world tour last year and went to therapy because she was depressed, anxious and "my self-esteem was shot."

Gomez, 24, who has more than 113 million Instagram followers, also said in an interview published on Thursday that she was freaked out by her social media obsession and no longer has the Instagram app on her phone.

"As soon as I became the most followed person on Instagram, I sort of freaked out. It had become so consuming to me. It's what I woke up to and went to sleep to. I was an addict," Gomez told Vogue magazine in a cover story for its April edition.

READ MORE HERE

Model Kendall Jenner victim of $200,000 jewellery theft: TMZ

Months after her sister Kim Kardashian was robbed at gunpoint in Paris of nearly US$10 million in jewels, supermodel Kendall Jenner has reported the theft of jewellery worth US$200,000 (S$280,000) from her Los Angeles home, celebrity website TMZ reported.

Police told AFP that they had received a 911 call at about 1.15am on Thursday about a reported burglary in the area of Jenner's home in the Hollywood Hills, but would not confirm that she was the victim. There are no suspects so far in the case.

TMZ said the 21-year-old Jenner, one of the top runway models of the moment, was hosting a party and she left the house at about midnight. When she returned an hour later, she noticed her jewellery box was open and the jewels were gone.

READ MORE HERE 

Football: Everton aren't matching my ambitions says Lukaku

Romelu Lukaku claims his desire to play in the Champions League and Everton's failure to attract top-class players has convinced him not to sign a new contract with the Premier League club.

Lukaku, who is the joint top-scorer in the Premier League with 19 goals, has told Everton he will not sign a new deal which would have made him the club's first £100,000-plus-a-week (S$170,000) player.

Everton are still hoping to convince their star to agree an extended deal, but the 23-year-old Belgian striker appears determined to force a transfer to a bigger club.

READ MORE HERE