While You Were Sleeping: 5 stories you might have missed, March 1 edition

Suicide bombing kills 27 at Shi'ite funeral in east Iraq

At least 27 people were killed when a bomber detonated his explosive vest at a funeral for the relative of a Shi'ite Muslim militia commander in the eastern Iraqi province of Diyala on Monday, security and medical sources said.

The attack in Muqdadiya, 80km north-east of Baghdad follows the deadliest bombing inside the capital so far this year, which left 78 people dead in a Shi'ite district on Sunday.

Security officials and police in Diyala said the target of the attack was two local commanders of the Hashid Shaabi umbrella group of Shi'ite militias who were attending the funeral ceremony for one of their relatives.

READ MORE HERE

Pentagon waging cyber war against ISIS Washington, using commandos on ground

The Pentagon is expanding its cyberattacks against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria's computer networks, senior defence officials said on Monday as they claimed to have seized the momentum in the 18-month-old fight against the group also known as ISIS.

Newly deployed commandos are also carrying out secret missions on the ground, Pentagon leaders said on Monday, in the latest signs of quietly expanding US activity.

Defence Secretary Ashton Carter and the US military's top officer, General Joe Dunford, told reporters the United States was determined to "accelerate" the anti-ISIS campaign and indicated cyber warfare is playing an increasingly important role in doing so.

READ MORE HERE

Former TEPCO bosses indicted over Fukushima disaster

Three former executives of the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant operator were indicted on Monday over the 2011 atomic accident, in what will be the first criminal trial linked to the disaster.

Ex-Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) chairman Tsunehisa Katsumata, and former vice presidents Sakae Muto and Ichiro Takekuro were formally charged with professional negligence resulting in deaths and injury for their role in the crisis.

The trio were not taken into custody.

READ MORE HERE

Donald Trump dismisses white supremacist campaign squall before Super Tuesday

Mr Donald Trump swatted away the latest controversy to shadow his unorthodox march towards the Republican presidential nomination on Monday, attributing his failure to disavow support from a white supremacist to a faulty television earpiece.

On the eve of the biggest voting day in the race to pick the 2016 United States presidential candidates, the Republican front runner tried to explain why he did not condemn backing from former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke during a Sunday television interview.

"I'm sitting in a house in Florida with a very bad ear piece that they gave me, and you could hardly hear what he was saying, but what I heard was various groups," Mr Trump said on NBC's Today show.

READ MORE HERE

Football: Infantino 'bought' Fifa votes, claims Palermo chief Marizio Zamparini

Outspoken Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini has courted controversy by claiming Gianni Infantino "bought" votes on his way to being elected president of Fifa.

Infantino was voted world football's new chief on Friday, the 45-year-old Swiss-Italian lawyer ending Sepp Blatter's controversial 18 years in charge.

Although Infantino has pledged to restore the battered image of Fifa, and despite his victory being widely applauded by key figures in the game, Zamparini cast doubt on whether the election process was fully transparent.

READ MORE HERE