US unveils enhanced airline security plan to avoid laptop ban
US Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly unveiled enhanced security measures for foreign flights arriving in the United States in what officials said was a move that aims to end a limited in-cabin ban on laptops and other large electronic devices and prevent its expansion to additional airports.
The new security measures, which European and US officials said would begin taking effect within three weeks, could prompt additional screening time for the 325,000 airline passengers arriving in the United States daily.
“Inaction is not an option,” Kelly told a news briefing, adding that he believes airlines will comply with the new screening. But he said the measures are not the last step to tighten security.
The decision not to impose new restrictions on laptops is a boost to US and European airlines, which have worried that an expansion of the ban to Europe or other locations could cause significant logistical problems and deter some travel.
Get The Straits Times
newsletters in your inbox
The United States in March imposed restrictions on laptops on flights originating at 10 airports in eight countries, including Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar and Turkey. They came amid fears that a concealed bomb could be installed in electronic devices taken aboard aircraft. Britain quickly followed suit with a similar set of restrictions.
Britain's Theresa May survives first parliamentary test after disastrous election
British Prime Minister Theresa May’s government defeated its first parliamentary challenge since a disastrous election earlier this month, in a vote on whether to maintain increasingly unpopular austerity measures.
The amendment was defeated by 323 votes to 309, reflecting the new landscape in parliament where the Conservatives now need the backing of Northern Ireland’s ultra-conservative DUP party, after losing their majority in this month’s snap election.
The Conservatives had expected to increase their majority in the election, but left-wing Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn energised voters with an offer of increased public sector investment. With 317 of the 650 seats in parliament, the Conservatives now need to be supported by the DUP’s 10 MPs.
MH17 team hopes emotional videos will bring new leads
International investigators and relatives of victims of flight MH17, shot down over eastern Ukraine almost three years ago, renewed efforts to push the probe forward, issuing videos appealing for witnesses.
It is hoped the videos of family members talking about the pain of losing their loved ones will spur residents in Ukraine to come forward with new information, Dutch media reported.
The clips contain interviews with two relatives of some of the 298 people who died when the Malaysia Airlines jet was blown from the sky by a Russian-made BUK anti-aircraft missile on July 17, 2014.
Formula One: FIA to re-examine Vettel-Hamilton collision
Ferrari’s Formula One championship leader Sebastian Vettel risks further sanctions after the governing body re-examines his "road rage" clash with Mercedes rival Lewis Hamilton in Sunday’s Azerbaijan Grand Prix.
The governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) said on Wednesday that it would take another look at the evidence on Monday.
“The FIA will further examine the causes of the incident in order to evaluate whether further action is necessary,” it announced in a statement.
Athletics: Bolt fires to 100m victory in Ostrava
Jamaican sprint superstar Usain Bolt overcame a stiff back to fire to victory in the 100m in Ostrava in a modest 10.06 seconds, in what was his first appearance in Europe in his farewell season.
“I love this crowd’s high energy. That’s why I come back here. I love you,” said Bolt, in his ninth appearance in the northeastern Czech city.
Bolt, winner of eight Olympic and 11 world gold medals, will bring down the curtain on his glittering career at August’s world championships in London.