White House hopeful Trump discloses $13.6 billion net worth

Trump's financial statement is required for his White House bid.
Trump's financial statement is required for his White House bid.REUTERS

NEW YORK (AFP) - Business tycoon Donald Trump, one of the richest men in America, has a net worth of more than US$10 billion (S$13.6 billion), his campaign said Wednesday in a financial statement required for his White House bid.

Trump, vying for the Republican presidential nomination, reported an income of US$362 million last year, minus dividends, interest, capital gains, rents and royalties.

The voluble, 69-year-old magnate has broken the political mould by trumpeting his staggering wealth an asset in his quest for political office.

Instead of portraying himself as an ordinary Joe who understands the concerns of the hard-pressed voter, he has presented his astonishing success as proof of his leadership abilities.

"This report was not designed for a man of Mr Trump's massive wealth," his campaign crowed about the financial disclosure.

Many boxes required that he check "US$50 million or more" - such as in the case of a building worth US$1.5 billion, it said.

On top of his income, he made more than US$27 million by selling off stocks in January 2014 and continues to hold a portfolio of around US$22 million on the stock market.

He listed nearly 500 business entities, 91 per cent of which he owns in full, and divulged a salary of around US$214 million from starring in 14 seasons of hit TV show The Apprentice.

He was approached for a 15th season but turned them down to make way for his presidential run, his team said.

His financial disclosure comes with Trump on top of the crowded field of Republican candidates for a second straight week, according to a Suffolk University/USA Today poll.

"I look forward to the challenge of winning the presidency and doing a fantastic job for our country," he said.

Trump blazed into the campaign in June, promising to "make America great again" in an offence-dishing speech that called Mexicans rapists and vowed to take on China.

On Tuesday, he sailed into fresh controversy over a campaign advertisement, posted on Twitter, which appeared to show Nazi soldiers marching under the White House.

His campaign blamed an intern and deleted the tweet.