LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Sony Pictures has "no further release plans" for "The Interview", the parody film that angered North Korea and triggered a hacking attack linked to Pyongyang, a spokesman said on Wednesday.
The Hollywood studio earlier cancelled the Dec 25 theatre release date for the movie, about a fictional plot to assassinate North Korean ruler Kim Jong Un.
"In light of the decision by the majority of our (theater) exhibitors not to show the film 'The Interview,' we have decided not to move forward with the... theatrical release," it said in a statement. "Sony Pictures has no further release plans for the film," a spokesman added an hour or two after the statement.
The comment appeared to rule out prospects for the film to be released in DVD or Video on Demand (VoD) formats. It was unclear if it was applicable only to the United States or worldwide.
Hackers earlier this week warned cinema goers not to see the movie co-starring United States comic actors James Franco and Seth Rogen.