No charges for Hillary Clinton in e-mail case, says US Attorney-General

Hillary Clinton, presumptive 2016 Democratic presidential nominee, speaks during a campaign event in Atlantic City, on July 6, 2016.
Hillary Clinton, presumptive 2016 Democratic presidential nominee, speaks during a campaign event in Atlantic City, on July 6, 2016.PHOTO: BLOOMBERG

WASHINGTON (REUTERS) - US Attorney-General Loretta Lynch said on Wednesday (July 6) she had accepted the FBI's recommendation that no charges should be brought in the investigation of Hillary Clinton's personal e-mail system.

"I received and accepted their unanimous recommendation that the thorough, year-long investigation be closed and that no charges be brought against any individuals within the scope of the investigation," Ms Lynch said in a statement.

On Tuesday, Federal Bureau of Investigation director James Comey said Mrs Clinton, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, had been "extremely careless" in her use of a private e-mail server while she was secretary of state, but he recommended no criminal charges be filed in the case.

While Mr Comey's announcement lifted a cloud of uncertainty that had loomed over Mrs Clinton's White House campaign, his strong criticism of her judgment ignited a new attack on her over the e-mail issue by Mr Donald Trump, her likely Republican opponent in the Nov 8 election.

Ms Lynch said she on Wednesday afternoon met Mr Comey and the career prosecutors and agents who had investigated whether Mrs Clinton had broken the law as a result of e-mail servers kept in her Chappaqua, New York, home. One question is whether she had mishandled classified information.

US House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan, a Republican, said on Wednesday it appeared Mrs Clinton had received preferential treatment from the FBI.

Asked whether a special prosecutor should be named to investigate the matter, Mr Ryan said the House would not "foreclose any options". Mrs Clinton's campaign was anxious to move on after Mr Comey's announcement, saying in a statement on Tuesday it was pleased with the FBI decision.