Man sues Samsung after Note7 explodes in his pocket

NEW YORK • Samsung Electronics is being sued by a Florida man who said he suffered severe burns after his Galaxy Note7 smartphone exploded in his front pants pocket.

The lawsuit filed on Friday by Mr Jonathan Strobel may be the first in the United States by a Samsung phone user against the South Korean company over a battery defect linked to the Note7.

It was filed one day after Samsung recalled about one million Note7s sold in the US.

Mr Strobel, 28, said he was in a Costco store in Palm Beach Gardens on Sept 9 when his Note7 exploded.

He said the phone burned directly through his pants, resulting in severe burns on his right leg.

Mr Strobel said he was also severely burned on his left thumb, after he reached over to try to remove the phone from his pants.

"He has a deep second-degree burn, roughly the size of the phone, on his right thigh," Mr Strobel's lawyer Keith Pierro said.

"Unfortunately for my client, the recall came too late."

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other alleged injuries.

Samsung has received 92 reports of batteries overheating in the US, including 26 reports of burns and 55 reports of property damage, US safety regulators said.

"We don't comment on pending litigation," Samsung spokesman Danielle Meister Cohen said in an e-mail.

"We are urging all Note7 owners to power their device down and exchange it immediately."

Mr Strobel's lawsuit was filed in a Florida state court in Palm Beach County.

REUTERS

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Sunday Times on September 18, 2016, with the headline 'Man sues Samsung after Note7 explodes in his pocket'. Print Edition | Subscribe